While many businesses are aware of the notion of records management, many still do not have a system in place and are unprepared to deal with the limitless amounts of electronic data. Organizations are being overwhelmed with data from a variety of sources and in a variety of formats, including paper files, emails, digital documents, audio recordings, and videos.
To stay compliant, businesses must recognize the value of handling and monitoring all types of information and adopt a thorough records management software to achieve long-term objectives. Companies can use record management and retention to ensure that their employees have comprehensive access to correct information in a timely and cost-effective manner. A comprehensive RIM program keeps you in compliance with data privacy requirements by managing the growth of information across numerous repositories.
Records must be managed and kept for as long as required to ensure they follow the criteria of being authentic, reliable, complete, secure, comprehensive, and usable. Once these are set, the records management system comes fully packed with different functionalities. One of the essential functionalities is the ability to import and export records, and interoperability with other systems. This is useful when organizations need to export records in the event of mergers or government reorganizational changes. Another functionality is authentication, encryption, and technological protection measures. This is extremely useful in protecting records when they have been subject to technological protection measures, electronic signatures, or electronic watermarks. In addition, this scalable software enables users to capture, identify, classify, secure, maintain and administer any record.
The following are extended benefits of implementing an effective records management plan in your workplace:
- Litigation protection and support, including risk management related to the existence or lack of proof of organizational activity.
- Protection of the organization’s interests as well as the rights of employees, clients, and stakeholders.
- Improved protection of business records with sensitive or confidential information.
- Ability to deliver services in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ability to support current and future research and development activities.
- Access to relevant business activity records when needed to help with well-informed decision-making and policy development.
- Reduced risk of data loss or accidental record destruction.
- Reliable performance evaluation of business outputs.
- Increased public and/or client confidence in the integrity of an organization’s activities.
- Identification of critical records for disaster planning, so that organizations can continue to operate in the event of major disruption.
It is more important than ever for businesses to have an effective records management program in place. The necessity for records management will only grow as the creation of limitless amounts of data continues to develop and regulatory laws evolve.
Intalio recognizes that credible record-keeping is essential for increased efficiency, improved traceability, and regulatory compliance, and provides an Electronic Records Management System that helps your organization keep its records safe, secure, and organized.